Buy Hosting From Host Gator

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Starting to Get Search Engine Traffic

It may not be the best traffic (photo credit: Derek Harper), but I am starting to get some search engine traffic at my new site, Optionsdude.com.  It seems that the majority of that traffic is coming to the various posts on my blog through several longer tail keywords.  I can't tell you how exciting this is so soon after starting the site.  Unfortunately, the bounce rate is pretty high and minimal time has been spent on the site, but there has been one visitor who spent more than 1 minute!

I am also generating daily traffic by commenting on blog posts from blogs that I find on the Yakezie Personal Finance Blog Network at Yakezie.com.  There are a lot of good bloggers that are part of the network.  I know that I will never be able to have a blog like one of those, but maybe someday, I could come close.

By commenting daily, I am able to get a handful of visits daily which provides just enough motivation to keep going.  I did have one day last week which had no traffic at all, but that was the only one over the past 30 days.  My plan is to continue to read various blog posts and make relevant comments on ones that I might be able to add to the discussion.  I will do this as I continue to try and add content to my site.  Adding content is a little slow going right now, but I did add a page this past week.  Maybe I can get something up tomorrow also.

I would like to see the number of visits to the site surpass the number to this blog by the end of the year.  It will be tough going, but I think I can do it.  I will need to post some links to some of the various articles after I get more content up.  I really have yet to try and backlink any individual pages other than with a few blog comments.

I also want to say that I am seeing some of my pages in Google for some of the longer tail keywords that I have been following.  I am on page 2 for one and page 4 for another.  Too bad there is little monthly search traffic for these words, but at least I know the process is working.  Again maybe by the end of the year, I can get some serious ranking done for some of these keyword phrases with backlinking.

The bottom line is that the progress is somewhat slow for me since I don't spend 8 hours per day on the internet.  But at least there is progress.  Oh and by the way, I have earned $1.10 on the site, so I only have $38.90 to break even!

3 comments:

  1. I can definitely see the motivation for commenting on other blogs, linking from this blog etc to reach targets, even if it is to start off with ensuring that one unique viewer a day visits the site. Before you know it instead of counting teh days since your last day without any impressions, it will be the days since your last day earnings less than $1/$10/$100 (delete as appropriate!). Have you considered/are you using Hubpages, Infobarrel, She Told Me, Twitter etc as a backlink source? As for earnings, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good deal, man! I'm glad to see it already happening for you on the new site. The backlinks are the key! Get up the rankings and get the traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bristolboy,
    I have thought about those sources for backlinks. I am somewhat hesitant given the recent smackdown. I am almost afraid to have too much association with the sites for fear that my site would get penalized. Just seeing what I can do for now without them.

    Jared,
    I am doing what I can and hope to continue to see results.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails