Buy Hosting From Host Gator

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One Year Online--A Look Back

Well, it is hard to believe that exactly one year ago on May 26, 2009, I published my first online article on HubPages.  I don't exactly remember how it started or why I did it, but what started as a small, little experiment or hobby has developed into a "part-time" quest for developing passive income.

I ended up starting this blog to chronicle my journey and share with those other "part-timers" (or anyone else who might be interested) what I am learning along the way.  I have also shared my goals, frustrations, and the results of my various efforts.

One year ago, I had no idea what a keyword or a backlink was.  I didn't know the difference between "follow" and "no-follow".  Now I can use Google Adwords Keyword Tool to try and enhance my CPC.  I have a rough idea of how to drive traffic and improve my SERPs even though I may not be very good at it.

For those of you who have followed this blog, you know that it has been my goal to ultimately earn $100 daily online by the time my youngest reaches college.  My thoughts are that this will help pay for her college and then ultimately provide a supplemental source of retirement income.  That day was nine and is now eight years away.

I am really only about 1% of the way toward my goal, but I still have 8 years left.  So, let's look back and see what the actual results of the last year have been starting with content and traffic.

HubPages:  I have published 141 Hubs, have 256 followers, and have received 25,000 views during the past year.

eHow:  I published 43 articles of which 38 still exist.  These have been viewed just over 8,900 times.

Xomba:  I have 44 articles and 212 bookmarks.  The total number of reads is 10,795.

My Online Income Blog:  This is post number 117.  I really don't have easy access to the number of views, but there are 35 followers through blogger and 8 Facebook followers.

Real Assets Blog:  I have 14 posts with 3 total followers.

Infobarrel, Triond, Squidoo:  There are 6 articles on IB, 5 on Triond, and 5 lenses.

Life123:  I published over 20 articles on Life123 before the program for authors was discontinued.

All told, I have 390 pieces of original content published on the internet.  These were all completed in one year's time which averages out to just over 1 piece each day.  Personally, I find that pretty amazing considering all the days that I did not write.

For all that effort, however, the earnings will seem rather minuscule.  I have to remember that those articles will be out there with the potential to be earning each and every day.  I have done nothing on eHow since October of 2009, and yet those articles continue to earn month after month.  Not a lot, but something.

With those comments, lets look at the earnings.  As of this evening, my total earnings are as follows:

AdSense:  $325.72  --  I have received 2 checks already and will get the next one in late June.  This took 5 months for the first, 3 months for the second, and 4 for the next one.

eHow:  $157.74 -- There has been only one month that I didn't make payout, and that was when the UK site was started.  I should make it this month, but it could be close.

Life123:  $440 -- I really liked writing for Life123.  Too bad it couldn't continue.  They were honorable and paid the maximal amount of $20 for each article.

My expenses for the year consisted of $1 for advertising and $57 for the Michelle Adams Flipping Guide.  So my net profit for the year amounts to $923.46 - $58 = $865.46.  Divide that by 390 articles, and I got $2.22 per article this past year.  Of course, this is heavily influenced by the Life123 payment but I'll take it.

I hope to improve upon these results in the next year.  My next post will discuss my goals for the next 365 days and what I hope the impact of my activities will be.

So, how has the past year been for you?  Productive?  Profitable?  What will you be doing to improve your results?

9 comments:

  1. That is incredibly inspiring Kidgas. I am going to take a look at my year and review it as well. But I do know, my major earner has been Suite101. Have made over 1K with 150 articles or so.
    Thnxs for sharing your stats. All the best for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is a fantastic way of looking at what you've achieved. It's amazing to think how much you've written in a year. And I'm sure that work will continue to pay off for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed seeing the tally on how many articles you have written in the last year (in all honesty, I have no idea how many I have written - hundreds, for sure). I'm sure you will see things continue to grow, and quickly. I just passed the one year mark as well, and counting only passive income streams (AdSense and affiliate programs) was able to earn around $2500 for the year (spending around $500 on tools and software) - most of that in the last six months, however. I'm looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on a very productive first year. I hope you reach your goal of $100 a day sooner than you expect. I think it's amazing how well you've done with Google Adsense - those HubPages must really be paying well. I hope your success continues over the next year...and beyond. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. prerna,
    Thanks so much for your comments and support of this blog over the past year. I have heard good things about Suite101. Congrats! I wish you the best in the coming months as well.

    Ruth,
    I sincerely appreciate you taking the time out of your busy day to read my blog. I certainly hope that the work today will continue to pay off well into the future. I enjoy your blog. The design is stellar. You are an inspiration to me. And thanks so much for the link.

    Michelle,
    I am clearly impressed with your earnings figure and totally amazed at the amount that you get done. Thanks for stopping by. I hope not to disappoint with the next post.

    DeAnna,
    Thank you so much. I hope that the $100 figure occurs more quickly also. I consider you one of the wonderful people that I have been able to meet through blogging. It is an honor to have met you. I just wanted you to know that I value your comments and input.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this, as well as braking your earnings down. I am new to this and trying to learn; there is so much that I feel I need to absorb! I was beginning to feel frustrated, but reading your blog has given me the boost of encouragement that I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. krissy,
    Thanks so much for your comment. It is helpful to me to know that what I write is useful. I wish you the best. Stick with it. Your emotions will be high and low. Just keep plugging along if this is what you really want.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found this blog and have read through a bunch of posts. Very encouraging stuff, as I've recently started an online money making venture of my own. In fact, that is how I found this blog.

    I started one of my own to write about my journey to meeting my goal of making $500 per month, and upon searching for similar blogs I happened to find this one. It's very encouraging to my own ventures, and I think some of the things you've posted may be very useful to me. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much. Good luck on your journey to make $500 per month.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails