Buy Hosting From Host Gator

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Building Backlinks

So, here it is--day #1 of the SEO experiment. I went through and noticed last night that my blog post had been indexed by Google and was showing up in the number 150 position at the bottom of page 15. It is in the same place this morning. Interestingly, I posted a thread on the HubPages forum which received a lot of activity. It started on page 4 and this morning is on page 2! How's that for interesting?

Building Our Link Wheel

I am going to begin the process of building a link wheel for the original post. What is a link wheel? Glad you asked. If you imagine a bicycle tire, at the center is the blog or site we want to "advertise" if you will. Extending out from the center are all the different spokes. What we want to do is create a bunch of different links that all point to the focus article and to each other through one way links.

I will be creating several different articles related to search engine optimization all pointing to my SEO experiment post. I already had written an article for HubPages entitled "Search Engine Optimization Tips for Newbies". This was before I came up with the experiment idea. I posted a link on that article back to my blog post.

Next, I will be creating another article and will post it on another writing site like InfoBarrel. I will then put a link from my HubPages article and point it to the InfoBarrel article. The IB article will point toward the main blog post. I will place a third article on eHow with a link from the IB article. The eHow article will also point to the main blog post. Get the idea?

Since most article writing sites will allow 2 self-serving links, one link points to the center main focus of your marketing efforts. The other link points to the next article in the circle forming the rim of the link wheel.

I have accounts at HubPages, eHow, InfoBarrel, Squidoo, Xomba, and ezinearticles. When all is said and done, I will have 6 links pointing at my main blog post. I will also have 6 more unique articles, 5 of which have the potential to earn revenue while they point to the main post and each other. The goal is to funnel traffic to the main post and rank higher and higher for the targeted keyword. In the process, I would like to increase the readership of this blog and help others learn about SEO techniques.

I will be writing and posting these articles over the next several days. Before I do, however, I am actually going to write down what article I would like to have at each site and the direction I would like them to point so that there can be a coherent flow to the process. I also think this is important since eHow has a specific article structure which will limit what I can do at that site.

I will probably write other stuff at those sites as well and will be making other blog posts. But I will keep everyone updated on the progress of the SEO experiment. Don't worry about that. I would love to hear your comments. And if you want to link to the SEO experiment post, feel free. That would certainly be a help and illustrate the power of one way links.

That is all I had for this morning. Gotta get building those supplemental articles.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You've really got your plan laid out magnificently. Thanks for explaining how to do all of this for us struggling eHowers and bloggers. Great focus on how to interwine your sites with backlinks. The "wheel" analogy is a wonderful visual! I'm putting a link to this post on my eHow blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have accounts at HubPages, eHow, InfoBarrel, Squidoo, Xomba, and ezinearticles."
    Are Squidoo, Xomba, and ezinearticles worth joining. I prefer Hubpages but have done well with Ehow and Info barrel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it depends upon how you plan on using the site and what you prefer. Several have made good money on Squidoo, but I just don't care for it. Right now, I am spending more time on Xomba since that is working with my style. eHow is good but I have had less success at InfoBarrel.

    You just have to go with what works for you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails